These rice & oat protein bars are ideal for use as food during a race, providing readily absorbed carbohydrates for energy and protein to assist working muscles. And they taste great too!
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup chopped dates
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup dried apricots
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 3.5 cups rice cereal
- ½ cup liquid honey
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup PURE Whey Protein Concentrate (vanilla)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Cook the sesame seeds and sunflower seeds in a dry pan, stirring until fragrant and toasted. Salt lightly, and set aside to cool.
- Combine the dates, raisins, apricots, chocolate chips and the toasted seeds in the container of a food processor. Pulse to chop until small but not pasty. Transfer to a large bowl, and mix with oats and crisp rice cereal.
- In a small glass bowl, mix together the honey, sugar and peanut butter. Heat in the microwave until bubbly. Stir in the protein powder and vanilla extract. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the bowl of cereal and goodies, and mix with a wooden spoon until everything is evenly coated.
- Press the mixture into a greased tray using wet hands. Allow to cool and cut into squares.
Nutrition content per serve:
Recipe provided by Conrad Goodhew Performance Dietician (NZRD). Conrad is available for individual nutrition consultations in-person and via remote video calling.