This homemade creamed rice is an excellent protein & carbohydrate snack, which makes it great for before & during training for energy and recovery.
Depending on your sport, you can enjoy this before or after your training/race, or if you're a multi-sporter or adventurer it's also perfect during your event at a transition aid station.
- 1 litre (4 cups) milk
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup uncooked white medium-grain
- 4 scoops (1.3 serves) PURE Whey Protein Concentrate (flavour of your choice)
- Combine milk, sugar and vanilla in a medium saucepan, stirring over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to a simmer then add rice.
- Cook partially covered over low heat, stirring occasionally for 40 minutes or until rice is tender and creamy. Once cooked add in protein powder and flavour variations of your choice (see below).
- For use while running or cycling, pop into a baby food packet or squeezy yoghurt for an ‘on the go’ option.
You can use plant-based milk as an alternative to cow’s milk. For a variety of flavours add fruit, PURE Blackcurrant Recovery powder or change the protein flavour. Greek yoghurt can also be used for higher protein content and creamier texture.
Nutriton content per serve:
Recipe provided by Conrad Goodhew Performance Dietician (NZRD). Conrad is available for individual nutrition consultations in-person and via remote video calling.